Sunday, May 17, 2015

Amarillo to Abilene

The wind calmed down sometime after 12:30 last night, so then we just had the sounds of passing trains to lull us to sleep.  Nice to wake up in a dry tent!  

Our first stop --Mass at Mary cathedral in Amarillo.  Beautiful church!  When I think "cathedral" I am typically picturing an older, ornate building.  This church is newer and it is huge.  It was a beautiful service with a baptism and a 25th anniversary blessing.  Wonderful music, too.


On the way to the cathedral we found Arnold Burger!  Did not look like it was open.  We had lunch at Texas Roadhouse instead.  Cassie had a steak, I had BBQ pulled pork.  All was delicious.  

Then off to see Cadillac Ranch.  What a disappointment!  The cars are all covered in graffiti. Apparently this is a thing.  Many people were arriving with their spray paint.  It was not at all what I expected.  I took the photo from far away so maybe you can still enjoy it.

Th Don Harrington Discovery Center was fun!  All hands-on science activities.  Mainly for kids, but we had a great time.  Also, I purchased the ASTC membership at Lowell observatory, and this is our third time using it.  Good buy!  

Here's Cassie at the Discovery Center. That machine is supposed to display heart rate.  As you can see, Cassie is flatlining.  So sad.  I will miss her.

Heading south toward Abilene, I may have found my happy place. At least that's what the sign says.  Population was around 600.  A bit small, I think.  Gonna keep looking.

1 comment:

Mikieg said...

Tried Texas once, wasn't for me.