Saturday, May 30, 2015

Alma Mater

I thought we would skip visiting Maryville because Maelea isn't home, but Cassie said she would like to see where I went to college.  Much of the campus looks the same.  A lot has changed.  

We walked around the campus and then headed for the mall.  We ate at Chick-fil-a where we were treated like celebrities. Our cashier was in awe that we are from Alaska, and when I told her I'd graduated from Maryville, she shook my hand. 
Cade's Cove is just as beautiful as I remember.  We saw bears.  Really small bears.  Cassie thought they were babies, but the bears here are just smaller than we are used to.
The downpour didn't bother us (the rain was warm!), but the sign warning of snake activity near the buildings was enough to get us back in the car.  

I said "let's drive to Gatlinburg." I remember that as a fun little town to walk around with cute shops.  Gatlinburg has grown.  It was crowded and commercial and we did not want to pay the $8 to park just to walk through the packed streets. Yikes! 

We overnighted in Newport and will explore Asheville, NC on Saturday -- State number 16!  Looking forward to visiting Karen and Tommy in the evening.

No comments: