Sunday, November 1, 2009

Iron Chef Challenge Week

hadn't posted for a while and thought i should catch up on the family blogs and of course ended up crying (thanks to emilee and lori). so here's something that WON'T make anybody cry.

i have this cupboard in my house that has two round shelves that are supposed to rotate. we mostly store canned and dry goods there. for months now the shelf has been so full of food that it is too heavy to turn. my solution? the iron chef challenge.

each of us will be cooking dinner twice this week using only ingredients already in the house (with one exception -- i told the kids if they needed a protein, i would buy it for their meals).

i cooked tonight and my scores were: 14 out of a possible 15 for taste (go, me!), 9 out of 15 for presentation, and 11 out of 15 for originality. total score: 34 out of 45.

dinner was ground beef, italian sausage and pepperoni with pizza sauce served over brown rice (topped with parmesan cheese), and steamed broccoli.

i'll also be cooking (and posting) tomorrow. cassie will cook on tuesday and thursday; arnold will be cooking on wednesday and saturday. kent will remain an impartial judge because he says the kids won't eat anything he cooks.

the best part? i'm not spending $200 on groceries this week.

6 comments:

The other sister said...

You are so clever!!! I do this at my house all the time - I just don't call it a challenge. It's called necessity!!!

And what did I do to make you cry? Were you sad that you missed Clinton Kelly? He IS really cute.

clica

Brenda said...

it was jenna's birthday post. you're such a good mom.



forav

Emilee said...

I made you cry? Or are you talking about a different Emilee?

Brenda said...

yes, emilee, your post about grandpa made me cry (sorry i spelled your name wrong! i fixed it. next time maybe i'll go with emma leigh.)

mikieg said...

Hmmm sounds fun, but what can you make with 12 jars of peanut butter and 1 can of rotella tomatos?



scept: I have everything I need scept a million dollars

Rachael Papes said...

I love not spending 200.00 on groceries. I need to do that with my pantry. I have NO idea what is behind all the stuff that I normally use! You are so clever.

oohh, and I like Emma Leigh! I'm gonna call her that from now on.