Sunday, January 23, 2011

restraint

I try very hard to refrain from negative posts. On facebook, on my blog. But this week and weekend have been very emotionally trying. Lots of weeping going on in this house.

Nearly four years after their father left us, my kids are still hurting. And I don't know how to help them.

At Mass this morning, this song started me crying all over again. This is what I want to be for my children:

Will you let me be your servant?
Let me be as Christ to you;
Pray that I may have the grace to
let you be my servant, too.

We are pilgrims on a journey,
We are trav'lers on the road;
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load.

I will hold the Christ-light for you
In the night-time of your fear;
I will hold my hand out to you,
Speak the peace you long to hear.

I will weep when you are weeping;
When you laugh I'll laugh with you.
I will share your joy and sorrow
'Til we've seen this journey through.

When we sing to God in heaven
We shall find such harmony,
born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony.

The Servant Song, by Richard Gillard


God bless all the good fathers out there. And God help all those who don't know how to be good fathers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful song. I'm so sorry for the hard week. They sure do have a great mom who loves them and does wonderful things with them.

Hoser. It's true that's the word!

mikestribe said...

Very well thought out. What a comfort music can be. I hope time will ease the hurt, but time seems to move too slowly sometimes. We love all of you. Sadly choices made sometimes hurt those around us who love us most. We love you very much and wish we could just hug on you. Thank you so much for the package. I've been trying to wrap up a large project and have had tunnel vision. We love you and keep you in our prayers. Ginger

The other sister said...

What I have learned in my 17+ years as a single parent is: the good days far outweigh the bad days. You CAN love your children enough for two people. Gillespie genes trump all others. Really. They'll be fine, they have you. Who could ask for more? I love you.